Macher Jhol is a simple Bengali fish curry that is a favourite in many families in India. The most commonly used fish to prepare this dish is a type of freshwater carp, rohu mach, salmon, pomfret, sea bass, red snapper, catfish. Macher Jhol is not only cooked in the West Bengal also in Odisha. Bengal is famous for fish dishes various sweets.
Fish has also become a part of the rituals in Bengali tradition. People say that Bengals are with a smart brain and glowing skin by adding fish into their regular diet because fish contains many health benefits. Fish oil is one of the most commonly consumed dietary supplements. It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are very important for your health. If you don’t eat a fish regularly, taking a fish oil supplement could help you get enough omega-3 fatty acids.
There are many more fish dishes are there but Macher Jhol is very special among them because it’s curry with gravy which can be done with and without deep-fry of fish. Let’s start with the recipe of tasty Macher Jhol.
- mustard seeds -1/4 Tsp
- potato – 1
- green chillies -6
- coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- 1 small sized rohu fish
- mustard oil required
- turmeric powder -2 tbsp
- salt required
- cumin seeds -1 tbsp
- Clean the fish properly, cut and take off the fish head.
- Clean inside out and wash thoroughly.
- Cut the fish into slices.
- apply salt and turmeric powder, leave it for 15mins.
- Take off the peel and cut potatoes into pieces.
- cut the green chillies.
- take a pan and add oil and heat it.
- Fry the pieces of fish until each one is golden on both sides. When fried, remove to paper towels to drain and keep apart.
- add potato pieces to the pan and stir-fry for two to three minutes.
- Heat up remaining oil in the same pan, add mustard seeds, green chilies and stir-fry for 2mins.
- Add the coriander-cumin paste and stir fry on low heat up for a minute adding water, if required.
- Add two cups of water, potatoes, salt, and cook under medium flame for four to five minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Finally, add fried fish slices and simmer and cook for two to three minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.